Thread: scale confusion
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #34
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Agreed. The double edged sword with most 3/4 ton trucks is the diesel. That added weight comes right off the payload. Most people buy a 3/4 ton diesel thinking it will pull the world and it will but at the expense of payload.

It's all relative, new pu owners buy a 1/2 ton truck and think they are driving a "big rig", until they buy a trailer too big for it. Then they buy a 3/4 ton and think "NOW I've got the big rig", so I can buy an even LARGER trailer. It's the circle of life for many rv owners.
LOL....I know exactly what you mean....although I didn't start out with the 1/2T, I went straight for the "Monster" 3/4T diesel that could pull about anything I wanted to buy! I had to tap out on that idea several years later when between my aux. fuel tank and a 13K GVWR tow behind toy hauler I was overloaded. Next truck was my present truck....'16 CrewCab Dually, 6.7, 3:73 and almost 5300 lbs of payload. It was a smart move planning ahead when I did that. I now have a triple axle, 5th Wheel Toy Hauler with a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. And you know what, I credit a bunch of folks on this very forum for being patient and helpful with me when trying to learn the ins and outs of what it takes to tow heavy and within all the capacity ratings of both the truck and trailer. Hats off to y'all.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote