View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #20
Free88

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
I'm getting ready to upgrade my TV. I've been an Expedition XL fan for a long time. On my second. I've pulled 4 different TT with it. It has a tow package, air bags and an Anderson WDH. Does a great job but under powered up hills. It gets about 12 mpg on flat highway. It's great for my 100 lab. He gets the whole rear. But I want more power so I'm looking at 2500 options. Definitely not going with a 6 cylinder gas. Thinking about Ram Hemi or diesel. Suggestions? Whats going to get the better MPG? Oh ya and remove the rear seats for the dog
I would not recommend the (big) diesels unless you will be towing 10k plus on a regular basis and/or you simply need more towing capacity than is available with the gassers.

The real question is which has the least cost per mile during a period of ownership. The (big) diesels are far more expensive on a cost per mile basis no matter how you calculate it. They do get slightly more MPG's, but diesel fuel also costs more and you additionally have to buy DEF. Also, the regular scheduled maintenance is far more expensive for the diesel. You will never overcome this over the life of the truck. The diesel option is usually a good $8k-$9k more (when you factor in the percent reduction in negotiation) when you buy. It will depreciate the same percentage just like the gas version. You will not be getting that $8k-$9k back on the back end. There is a myth that says you will, but its nonsense. Overall, its a lot more expensive to go with the diesel.

None of this is the say the (big) diesels suck. They are wicked powerful and can rip a CBS house off its foundation. But on CPM, forget it. The gassers are way cheaper to own and operate. If you need the diesel, then get it. Otherwise, you are better off spending the extra coin on other options.
Free88 is offline   Reply With Quote