View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #19
Free88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
I get 9-10...

Most others I know on f150ecoboost.net and the various groups/forums I participate in report the same approximate average while towing. 5-6 is hogwash and propaganda.

"Top end f150" doesn't mean a whole lot. They can come rated for anywhere from 5000 to 13,200 lbs towing, and 1000 to 3000 lbs of payload.

There are a myriad of options available with different towing packages, payload packages, and gear ratios. Rear ends obviously being the biggest factor, and the new 10 speed tranny is leaps and bounds above the 6. Much shorter first gear and taller overdrive gears, regardless of rear end ratio.

Your description of the truck leads me to believe that a) you don't know much about what gear ratio it has, what sort of towing or other packages you have. We very well could be talking about a truck that's I'll equipped for the load.

B) top end also leads me to believe it's a Platinum, King Ranch, etc. The higher you go up the options totem pole, the more expensive truck you have, and the less capable. Every option detracts from the payload and towing abilities, and also detracts from fuel mileage.

Ford offers the most capable engines with hdpp and/or max tow in the most bare bones of trucks in the XL package, and then on up the pole to the heavier more well optioned trucks.

I say all that to say that, without knowing the specs on said truck, can't make much of a well informed opinion about its performance. Could be talking about an apple and an orange, and a King Ranch non tow package truck with a 3.15 rear end trying to do what it wasn't designed to do.

Even towing at max gcvr through the Smokey Mountains I wasn't much worse than 10 mpg.

I'm not trying to enter a pissing contest here, I have nothing against any of your trucks, but there is a lot of hearsay and misinformation being fed as truth.
It is a Platinum edition and has the tow package and pretty much every option. Its just about as maxed out an F150 as you can get. He bought it after getting the Airstream, specifically for towing. Last I talked to him he was thinking of trading it in for either an F250 or F350 gasser. He figures, and I agree, if you are going to get crap MPG's, then you mind as well be into the HD's. The overall towing experience is just head and shoulders better. I nearly bought an F250 gasser last year, a 2018 leftover. If my local Ford dealer wasnt so greedy, I would have bought it. I think they are awesome trucks. I was able to get a comparably equipped 2018 Silverado 2500 gasser for $3k less, so I went Chevy this time.

I agree, there is no need for a pissing match. I have no dog in this race. I could care less what MPG's half-ton owners get. I am sure his 6.5k Airstream is well within the brochure tow rating for the particular truck that he has. Its a nice truck, and I really like it. If I didnt tow, I would consider getting one. Been there, done that on the half-tons, though, so I wont tow with them anymore.

BTW, you dont actually know people that you interact with on an internet forum. Those people can type whatever they way and not have to prove a darn thing. My general rule of thumb on this subject is that people overestimate by at least 2MPG on the internet when talking about truck MPG's. Ive been owning and driving trucks 30 years now. Many hundreds of thousands of miles. Everything from a Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel to the biggest baddest modern 1-ton diesels, and all the gassers in between. You aint tellin me no stories on truck MPG's.
Free88 is offline   Reply With Quote