View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 06:14 AM   #16
mwemaxxowner

I get 9-10...

Most others I know on f150ecoboost.net and the various groups/forums I participate in report the same approximate average while towing. 5-6 is hogwash and propaganda.

"Top end f150" doesn't mean a whole lot. They can come rated for anywhere from 5000 to 13,200 lbs towing, and 1000 to 3000 lbs of payload.

There are a myriad of options available with different towing packages, payload packages, and gear ratios. Rear ends obviously being the biggest factor, and the new 10 speed tranny is leaps and bounds above the 6. Much shorter first gear and taller overdrive gears, regardless of rear end ratio.

Your description of the truck leads me to believe that a) you don't know much about what gear ratio it has, what sort of towing or other packages you have. We very well could be talking about a truck that's I'll equipped for the load.

B) top end also leads me to believe it's a Platinum, King Ranch, etc. The higher you go up the options totem pole, the more expensive truck you have, and the less capable. Every option detracts from the payload and towing abilities, and also detracts from fuel mileage.

Ford offers the most capable engines with hdpp and/or max tow in the most bare bones of trucks in the XL package, and then on up the pole to the heavier more well optioned trucks.

I say all that to say that, without knowing the specs on said truck, can't make much of a well informed opinion about its performance. Could be talking about an apple and an orange, and a King Ranch non tow package truck with a 3.15 rear end trying to do what it wasn't designed to do.

Even towing at max gcvr through the Smokey Mountains I wasn't much worse than 10 mpg.

I'm not trying to enter a pissing contest here, I have nothing against any of your trucks, but there is a lot of hearsay and misinformation being fed as truth.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote