View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
I can't speak for others that use the phrase "I hardly know it's back there" but for me it means that my towing is relaxed and comfortable. When the semis roll past me, my rig moves as a unit and doesn't squirm all over the road. I don't have "white knuckle" trips and I arrive relaxed at my destination.
That's what I mean when I say "I hardly know it's back there", not "I don't know (and can't feel) 5000 pounds behind my truck.". I kind of doubt many people mean that.
What you mean and what a "novice RV'er hears" are often two entirely different things. When "talking" to an "unknown" on the internet, it's always (IMHO) prudent to express ideas clearly and distinctly with words that don't lend themselves to misinterpretation. On this forum, the phrase, "I hardly know it's back there" is most often a part of a post that goes on to say, "I do it all the time with my XXX (undersized tow vehicle/oversized trailer) and I hardly know it's back there.....

When hearing this kind of "nonsense" it's likely that a novice will interpret that communication much differently than a seasoned RV'er. When someone is "looking for an endorsement to their problem, they often will "seek permission" in any post they can twist to fit their agenda.

Not that I feel the need to explain my post (again), but I do strongly feel that phrases (no matter how they are intended) are much too often "interpreted the way the reader wants them to sound" so they can justify whatever they are "hoping will pan out"......

We do a novice RV'er a dis-service when we "pump BS" in a post with easily misinterpreted words and phrases. I say, save (or leave) the boastful key phrases to the automobile advertising, it does enough harm there without bringing it onto the forum where we ought to be dealing with reality, not "catch phrases".....

Of course, as always, YMMV as this is MHO.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote