View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #69
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Something interesting I came across that validated what was shared by members here was this for the new 2020 Chevy/GMC HDs:

"Sierra Heavy Duty models equipped with the Duramax Diesel also feature an integrated engine after-run cool cooling function, which can continue to idle the engine after extended and exhaustive periods of use, allowing for proper cool-down of vital underhood components."

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/...ailer-like-pro

Nice they are building in intelligence around that important need for the health of the engine. I assume that runs on its own after you "turn off" and exit the truck?

Given it is the same L5P Duramax as the current gen, it would seem to indicate this was in fact a concern with the current gen as well and should be given the appropriate attention.
I believe that ALL turbocharged diesels today use the engine oil to cool/lubricate the turbo bearings. Those bearings spin at extremely high RPM's and are powered by engine exhaust to make them spin. Due to this, they operate at extremely high temperatures and shutting them down when hot can cause the oil to "coke" or solidify in the bearings. This can lead to premature failure of the turbo system and expensive repair.

All of the turbocharged diesels recommend after a "hard pull" or "heavy engine use" that the engine be run at idle to allow sufficient cool down of the engine, especially the turbo section. That can be done two ways, first by intentional idling of the engine monitored by the owner/operator or secondly, by some automatic feature that allows for a "set and forget" or "automatic idle time" accomplished by the truck computer system. Ford has had this as an option for several years, I'm unsure of RAM's capability and now, it seems that GM is offering a "engine management feature" to automatically idle/shutdown the engine allowing the owner to leave the truck without sitting there, monitoring the idle.

I don't have that feature, although I understand it's just a software update to the computer. When I'm towing, I pull to a stop, leave the truck idling, check my tires, hitch, trailer (do a walk around inspection) which takes 3 or 4 minutes. At the end of that time, the engine has cooled down enough that I can safely shut it off and walk away. To me, I probably wouldn't use the feature in a busy, isolated area like a rest area, as I prefer not to leave my truck idling (with/without keys in the ignition) and walk away with strangers around the area. That said, in an emergency (like needing to get to the rest room RIGHT NOW) I have left the truck running, locked the door and used the keypad to unlock the truck after the crisis was over.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote