Thread: GM or Ford?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #12
FlyingAroundRV

I'll weigh in having recently purchased a truck to tow our TT.
I went with a Ford. Why? Simply because a friend has one and he's had good service out of it. However, there is light years difference between his and mine. His is a 20005 E-250 and mine is a 2015 F-250. His has a 5.something L engine and mine has a 6.2L. Both are gas.
I did some research on the Ford trucks and found that there were sufficient problems with the Diesel engines of a certain vintage and size that a whole industry has sprung up to "bullet-proof" them. That put me right off! I decided to go with a gasser because a) I understand gas engines, and b) it meant I would be buying one kind of fuel for everything, not diesel for the truck and gas for the generator, and c) I didn't need the extra pulling power of a diesel for my TT (Keystone Outback 272 UFL).
When researching trucks (or any vehicle) it's a good thing to head over to carcomplaints.com and see what issues there have been for your prospective trucks.

Finally, remember that if you're going to tow a bumper pull type trailer of any size, that you'll likely need a WDH hitch. This is important because if you intend to carry a golf buggy in the back of the truck, a WDH distributes weight BOTH WAYS. So some of the weight of that buggy is going to be reflected back onto the trailer's axles, so you'll have to watch that you don't overload your trailer axles. Given how marginal the ratings are on most trailer wheels, tires and axles, you could easily overload them by having a lot of weight in the back of the truck.
https://youtu.be/lVg8QgIFJoU
In this video, Dave talks specifically about single axle trailers, but using a WDH on a multi-axle trailer does the same thing, it distributes weight both ways.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote