View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #51
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Well, I am cover a dozen states every year. I purchase over 21,000 gallons of diesel every year for my commercial needs. There is no such industry standard thing as "Top Tier" diesel. There are some outlets that will treat their diesel with something like Schaeffer's additive and call it "premium" diesel.

And it is true, the diesel at the pump has nothing to do with the station selling it. All stations within a geographical area get the majority of their fuel from the fuel terminals in that area. Those fuel terminals will get their fuel thru the pipeline from a variety of refineries. A local station may specify any additives they want in the fuel they get, but that is about all they have control over. The sign on the station has nothing to do with who actually refined the fuel. I personally tanked fuel in the past. Lot's of misconceptions by the public.
Plus ALL those refineries & terminals have VERY strict requirements for ALL their fuels, but once it's unloaded at at station they have no control over what happens, unfortunately the refiner will still be to blame if someone gets bad fuel.
As I've said I've had 2 diesel GMC trucks with over 300k miles between them & have never had to open the fuel filter water drain. If I did get the "water in fuel" warning I wouldn't drain it I'd replace the filter. The fuel filter on mine has a % number to change interval, just like the oil, to which I go by to change when it's down to about 10%, same as oil changes, so far no issue with either.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote