View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #49
Mad Cow

Well, I am cover a dozen states every year. I purchase over 21,000 gallons of diesel every year for my commercial needs. There is no such industry standard thing as "Top Tier" diesel. There are some outlets that will treat their diesel with something like Schaeffer's additive and call it "premium" diesel. Some station that says "top tier' at the pump, make sure it is a pump that is not also one that sells gas and diesel at the same pump.

And it is true, the diesel at the pump has nothing to do with the station selling it. All stations within a geographical area get the majority of their fuel from the fuel terminals in that area. Those fuel terminals will get their fuel thru the pipeline from a variety of refineries. A local station may specify any additives they want in the fuel they get, but that is about all they have control over. The sign on the station has nothing to do with who actually refined the fuel. I personally tanked fuel in the past. Lot's of misconceptions by the public.

I digress, a quick search found "top tier" diesel, but nothing about it that rally means much.

Increased Lubricity? Most diesel has than now since the majority of diesel being sold has biodiesel in it. A 2% blend of biodiesel raises lubricity to pre-ULSD levels. Better than anything off the shelf.

Better filtration? I know of no diesel fuel pumps that do not also have water and particulate filtration at the pump. They have for decades.

Irregardless, the number of outlets that are participating are extremely scarce. I view the top tier diesel thing just like the top tier gas thing. Pure marketing. None of my GM gasoline engines have gotten, knowingly, top tier gas and even my 2006 Cadillac is still in great shape and a keeper. The best thing in terms of diesel is what has been mentioned... buy at high volume outlets where the turnover of stored diesel is frequent.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote