View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #18
rjrelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Are you saying that the information in the reference I provided in my previous post has information that is different from what is on your trailer's certification label? How different? What does your trailer certification label show the trailer's GVWR and axle GAWR to actually be? According to the specs you should have a single 4000# vehicle certified axle. No amount of modifications you can do will change the amount of load that axle can carry.
It's possible. Our trailer is currently in storage so I don't have access to my certification label. My guess is that it's the same 4000# axle but since it was built/sold before the fall of 2017, it didn't follow the (yet to be established) 10% reserve. The 2040# tires they fitted at the time would have been a 2% reserve and a poster child for why the RVIA took action. The link to the 2017 1750RD that you provided may have been built later in 2017 or retrofitted to the 2200# tires by the dealer to meet the 10% reserve. Hard to tell.

As I said earlier, I have absolutely no intention of overloading the 4000# axle. I just need some margin other than what the factory fitted 2040# tires provided when they were stamped, probably some time in 2016. If I understand correctly, even if I had switched to RVIA recommended 2200# tires a year ago, and given up to 10% degradation per year, they would have been back down to a marginal 2000# capacity already this spring.

That was kind of why I was looking at 2800# tires in the first place, so I can get about four seasons out of them before they degrade into 2000# tires. That, and reading multiple recommendations to go from a D to an E load range when replacing tires, for margin, not increased payload. My main question was related to rim selection and the implications of going from a 14" to a 15" rim while retaining the original five-hole pattern.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote