Thread: 2017 ford F150
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #47
fraleywp

So, I decided to upgrade my truck due to the small gas tank on the '15. I looked at a 250 but in my price range it would have been a stripper. No console and no options. I drive daily, but I don't tow daily.

So I compromised. I found 3 trucks with the options I wanted and within my price range. I ended up with a 5.0. It had a greater payload and towing capacity than the '15 Ecoboost. The '15 was a 2.7 though. The maximum towing capability on the F150 is the 3.5. I couldn't find one with the 36 gal tank that wasn't approaching 60k. Not wanting to spend that much on a half ton.

I am towing a tt with a max payload of 7200 and the new '17 has a max tow of 9100. The '15 max was 7500. The overall payload went up by 850 as well but I forget the actual number at the moment. I just felt I was a little too close to max with the '15 and I have a better safety margin now.

I towed the trailer from NE GA to St Petersburg Florida and it handled it like a champ. I did not have a ton of gear and all tanks on the trailer were empty. I have no plans of towing carrying water unless it's a local campground.

I do now believe the guy earlier in this thread about how towing with the V8 feels less strained. But I can only compare to the smaller Ecoboost. The 3.5 is still supposed to be more capable.

If I ever upgrade to a heavier trailer I will also be upgrading to a 3/4 or 1 ton. But I would hate to have to use a Superduty as a daily driver. The handling is just not good enough in daily use for my taste.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
fraleywp is offline   Reply With Quote