View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
I found a site that dyno tested the two engines in 2011. Modern turbo engines do not have the lag of old. The dyno test shows the 5.0 produced a maximum of 284.9 lbs-ft at 4,290 rpm. The ecoboost produced 360.7 lbs-ft at 2,900 rpm....but there's something more telling. The ecoboost produces over 300 lbs-ft of torque from 2,500 rpm to 5,200 rpm.
The 5.0 stays over 250 lbs-ft of torque from 2,500 rpm - 5,800.

If these guys had opined on reliability, it would have been worthwhile, but their statements about power are factually incorrect. They should know better.

The modern Ford EcoBoost turbos DO have turbo lag. I just rented a 2017 2.7 EcoBoost Edge for 3 weeks and the turbo does lag as in the old days....just a smoother kick in. The 3.5 does the same. Reviews of the engines speak to this;

"The 2016 Ford F150 with the 5.0L V8 and the 2016 Ford F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 are both very quick trucks. When you stomp the gas pedal from the stop, both trucks get away from the line with some urgency, although the naturally aspirated V8 and the twin turbocharged V6 offer that low-end power very differently. I wouldn’t call the EcoBoost V6 “laggy” as twin turbo engines go, but the V8 does offer a little more of the crisp, snappy acceleration right from the stop. However, where the V8 has a slight advantage in how hard it pulls when you first leave the line, the EcoBoost engine pulls harder up into and through the midrange – once boost has reached its peak levels." TorqueNews

This tester said he wouldn't call the lag...."laggy", but the cause of the more powerful engine to be sluggish from the gitgo is.....lag. Not a show stopper for some but there never the less. Just different ways to skin a cat.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote