Thread: Truck question
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Cheryl

Truck question

New to towing and I had a question in regards to the truck. We went on a trip with some fairly high passes (Banff - Jasper highway). Didn't realize they were so high. I had read the owners manual for towing before going but it's not so clear. Was going to call the truck dealer to ask about towing but thought I'd probably get better info here. The truck is a 2015 GMC half tonne. We had to have trailer brakes installed where they were put just above the brakes (we were told we could have the same ones as some of the other trucks had; up by the steering wheel: not so). Anyway, the trailer brakes are set and there's no way to adjust while driving. There's a tow haul mode on an arm by the steering wheel with a plus and minus button.

One the trip I assumed we just set the tow haul mode and that was it. Going up the steep hill, we stopped at a pull through half way and panicked when we both smelled a burning smell. Waited about 20-30 minutes and then continued.

On the way home, we went down a steep hill with tow mode on. I could hear the truck shifting and didn't ride the brakes only applying periodically. Thought I did well. When we got to the bottom, my husband felt the hubcaps on truck and trailer and the front ones on the truck were very hot. He could'nt leave his hand on it. Waited about half an hour.

Is this normal when towing? Do you have to do something else besides the tow haul? Worried about the hills now. We started by getting the truck first so I could get used to driving it. Been driving it for a year and feel comfortable. I've never had to "downshift" a vehicle before. Do I need to with tow mode? If so, how is this done and how do you know when to? I was hoping this would be easy. I'm not so mechanically inclined and even the terminology gets me.

I know it's a busy camping time for all but any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote