View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 04:13 AM   #46
xrated

In October of 2010, I purchased a new 2011 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel, the new 6.7 by Ford, which also has the new (at that time) 6 speed auto....similar in operation to the Allison in the GMC/Chevy trucks. I didn't know anything and obviously didn't research near enough before buying and just figured that a 3/4 Ton truck with a 400 HP/800 Ft. lbs torque, could pull and handle anything I wanted to put behind it....including a 35' - 40' 5er that I was planning on buying sometime down the road in 4 or 5 years. Surprise, surprise! So that 4 or 5 years down the road came this past October when we decided to buy our "retirement" Toy Hauler. The F250 Diesel just wasn't enough truck to handle the size 5er that I wanted to get. The CCC would have been overloaded by pin weight alone, much less anything additional that I would have needed to put in the truck.......like my wife, fuel, hitch, etc......you know some of the things that's always nice to have along for the trip! So, rather than having to spend money not only on a Toy Hauler, AND a new or used heavier duty truck, I chose to buy a T.H. that is a pull behind and the size is more than adequate for our needs. My preference would have been a 5er, but having something that is workable and also nice is better than not having anything. My point in all of this is that the lesson learned here is to research, talk to folks in the know (this and other forums with lots and lots of experienced folks), and do your homework based on factual information, not just hearsay (from a salesman). Had I done that, I would not have to have compromised on a 5er. Am I unhappy, not really. I think I have a very nice T.H. that will serve us well for the intended purpose that we bought it for. I'm not inclined to every be a full timer (that may change but not likely), and the 34 1/2' T.H. that we now have will hopefully work out very well for us.

The old adage about "location, location, location" in real estate has a counterpart in the RV world......"research, research, research".
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote