View Single Post
Old 11-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #30
Jas1234on

Re: 2016 3500 HD SRW duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
I tow a similarly sized 5'er with a similarly equipped SRW. Depending on the load in garage and overall crap in the truck, I'm right at max GVWR, sometime slightly under, other times a couple hundred pounds over. Here's a couple things to help you with your decision.

First, consider weighing your truck the next time you're loaded down with people and gear. Consider this your "realistic" running weight. Meaning the weight the truck would normally see, heading out on a trip with your occupants and misc. gear in the rig. I bet you'll find that your remaining available payload goes way down from what's on the door sticker. You'd be surprised how much a bed cover, full tank of fuel, and 4 passengers eat into the available capacity.

Secondly, shop long and hard for the right hitch. I didn't see if you had a short or long bed, but the lighter the hitch the less payload consumed by it. For me with a short box, my only option was a slider hitch - and I chose to use an auto unit (of which there's only 2 to choose from) and both are incredibly heavy. I lose probably 250# to the hitch alone. In comparison an Anderson hitch is like 50# but may not work in a short bed.

Lastly, to answer your question, the pin weight does decrease when hauling a load in the garage for sure, but keep in mind the overall GCWR will go up (and potentially push you over). I've heard many toy hauler owners say they'll bring along that toy (golf cart, atv, bike, etc) just for a smoother tow than to haul an empty hauler. My pin weight goes down 2~300# with my 1k# cart in the garage.

Air bags are great, help to level the ride and smooth out the bumps.
Good luck!

I have a 8foot bed. Was going to use the Anderson ultimate aluminum. Was going to test first of course. But looks like it works on 8foot beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jas1234on is offline   Reply With Quote