View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Hank, We had a 1972 Jayco 20' Jayraven. there was a goucho/bed on the front wall with a fold down bunk over it. The water tank sat under the bed and there was a big storage door on the street side of the goucho. On the inside, it was a shelf/headboard for the goucho. There was no insulation in the storage door or in the inside shelf. We had a 16,000 BTU gravity furnace, a 3 burner range and a bunch of blankets. We were in Colorado at the time. Went up to our property north of Steamboat Springs for elk season. It got cold, and we had ice on the inside of the floor, all the windows were 1/2 inch thick in ice, the toilet froze, and we did as well.... LOL Back then, I think there might have been 1" of fiberglass insulation in the walls, no ideal what was in the ceiling, but the floor was 3/4" plywood with a black tar spray on the bottom. There was no insulation in the floor at all.

I remember my wife putting clay flower pots on the stove during the evening to keep it warm enough for our daughter (age 2) to play on the goucho while we played cards at the dinette wrapped in blankets. Once she got tired enough to go to sleep, we'd put her in the top bunk (warmer up there) and we'd crawl on the goucho and shiver all night.... We had 30 lb tanks and used 3 in a 5 day hunt LOL

I can't blame you for heading south, it's just not "civilized" to stay cold when you don't need to..... And, yeah, we're staying in northern Michigan again this winter.... So far, we haven't grown tired of the snowmobiles, snowshoeing and cross country skiing..... But one of these winters, I'm sure we'll hook the boat behind the fifth wheel and head for "thawed water" and bass

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote