View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #34
Pmedic4

Towing Experience difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think everyone will have different experiences with mileage with different vehicles. All of that is really completely dependent on the driver and the circumstances.

In my experience, having owned 2 5.7 trucks and this 6.4, the 5.7 isn't in the same game. I have no idea what the previous poster's trailer is, but, pulling a 9200 lb trailer, anywhere, my 5.7s could not touch 9mpg (10000 miles). Usually 7-8. Highway mileage, without load, was lower as well. Guess, "sometimes it's a diamond, sometimes it's stone". I've not spoken to anyone that says the 5.7 gets better mpg or pulls as well. Of course, I only drive 4x4 so that might play into the equation.
Mileage aside, the difference in towing between the 1500 and 2500, definitely favors the 2500. On our recent trip to Florida, the truck was really stable, and braking was excellent. At no time did I feel like the wind pushed us around in the 2500, and there was actually a high wind warning during our drive across Florida I-10. On a trip last year with the 1500, we felt some chucking on a few roads, and wind did give a few 'shoves' across the interstate. None of that with the 2500, on a trip 3 times longer.

While there weren't any real mountains, I never felt like the 5ver was pushing me down a hills, and the section of I-65 between Tennessee/Alabama is a decent test. I never got the feeling of the 5ver trying to keep me heading straight on the curves.

In summary, since the mpg towing between the 6.4 / 5.7 was the same, I really can't fault the 6.4L for that reason, and from the safety and comfort standpoint, the 2500 is the absolute winner.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote