View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Since you're going to put it into a towing environment, and don't really know what all it has done in the past, I would drain the diff and put in a magnetic plug if it doesn't have one (so you can monitor what's happening back there). Then change engine oil and filter (drain into a new steel pan and look at what's in the oil - unless the seller changed-add a magnetic plug to the oil pan as well), new plugs, new fuel filter(s), and air filter.

I think for sure I would have the tranny drained and refilled - they can do that quickly and fairly inexpensively any more. Brakes are critical for towing; at the least pull the wheels and check the pads/rotors, shoes/drums (probably need to look at the brake cylinders as well - they have a tendency to start leaking after a few years). If it were me I would just replace them all to be on the safe side. Along the lines of braking I would drain the brake fluid and refill with new. Many times overlooked but it makes a world of difference if the brake fluid is shot....and it does "wear" out. Next I would drain the coolant and replace (excellent time to see what the radiator looks like inside). Depending on what package the truck had when it was built this might be a good time to just slap on an aftermarket tranny cooler. At the same time I would replace the thermostat and radiator hoses (hoses are a weak link on an old vehicle - don't ask me how I know). Inspect your U and/or CV joints for wear/play/damage. Shocks, ball joints, drag link etc. etc. etc.

Just lots of things to play with on your new truck. It used to be a lot of fun for me but I can't get around under one like I used to. Congrats on the new rig and hope you have a blast.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote