View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

We had a 2013 F250 with a 6.2l gas engine. Solo mileage was between 14 and 16 depending on how and where we drove. Towing ranged from around 7 to around 12, depending on speed, headwinds, altitude, etc. In about 15,000 miles of towing we averaged roughly 9.1MPG towing our 31' fifth wheel that weighs in between 8500-9500 pounds depending on how we load for any specific trip. The reason we traded for a new diesel was only partly based on towing requirements. For me, the major deciding factor was "I want" not "I need"..... I'll probably never see the "positive return on investment" based on the $9,000 added cost of the diesel, but I'm happy with it and for me, that's a plus. Actually, other than transmission shifting, increased tachometer readings and different "downhill braking systems", I was just as happy towing with my gas truck as I am with my diesel truck. The objective (camping) was/is being accomplished with either fuel source.

IMHO, all the manufacturers make both gas and diesel equipped vehicles because there's no "right/wrong" answer that meets every need. For some buyers, gas is a better option, for some diesel is better. I'd suggest looking at what "fits your needs" and make informed decisions on what to buy. It's not all about the towing aspect, especially if the vehicle is a primary means of transportation for the family. Weigh all the factors and buy what meets your requirements.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote