View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 04:05 AM   #19
TomHaycraft

Next steps in the above blow out story ...

A question first: Where should my expectations for ST trailer tires be, in terms of wear and life? Is it realistic to expect 15 to 20,000 miles with +/- 1/32 across the face of the tread? Does a spread-axle set up quicken the wear with each axle farther from the pivot point? (ok, more than one question!)

Second quandary: Is it possible to tell visually, without measurements, that the axles are bad? In particular, the axles don't have a slight bow or arc, but are straight.

I ask the question about axles, as that is the first thing I was told when calling the RV repair shop (large operation, not CW, insurance indicated one of their preferred shops ... for what that's worth) to follow up on the estimate for repairs, was that the axles needed to be replaced, and it was only on visual appearance, no measurements. Never mind I have a hole in the decking and wiring damage! I was told to not worry about it, it could be covered under the comprehensive of the policy.

What are the odds? Is the shop inflating the estimate for their profit? OEM tires had similar wear, 2,000 more miles when I replaced them (just short of 10,000), but no failure.

Thanks in advance for any input the collective group has!
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote