View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Javi, on the part about the fenders not being any wider than the mirrors and after driving it a while, it's not as daunting as it first might seem.

Here, however is my question about "marketing" and "capacities"...

The GVW/Payload/Vehicle Weight are "supposed to be" simple math. What I mean is that the payload is a direct result of what the GVW "minus" the vehicle weight calculates to be.... So, if the GVW of a Ford is 11,400 and the GVW of a RAM is 11,400, if the payload of the RAM is 1000 pounds more than the Ford, that "has to mean" that the vehicle weight is 1000 pounds less than the Ford.

What does that mean in terms of "reliability or durability"? Does it have any impact on frame twist, ride comfort, etc? I don't know the answers to any of those or to other questions that might arise. My question is simply: "How does Chrysler advertise their payload to be 1000 pounds more than Ford unless they are 1) increasing the GVW or 2) reducing the vehicle weight?"

I don't want my comments to "turn this into a better than/worse than" discussion. I used Ford and RAM because that is the two brands the OP used. I suppose the same GVW/Payload/Vehicle weight "math problems" would be exactly the same "compromise" with GMC/Chevrolet superimposed where either Ford or RAM is used.

Isn't the bottom line simply that payload equals GVW minus Vehicle weight? One has to "give" to increase another, so with regards to RAM payload, what gives (if anything) and what advantage/disadvantage does it present?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote