View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #29
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
My question would be why bother? The cost is minimal at the pump $2.79 a gallon around here and even the 2 1/2 gallon jugs aren't that much if you look around $9.95, $13.95..

Also, the limp mode isn't instantaneously applied... you got to be really dense or something to ignore the warnings and just refuse to fill the tank. There just isn't anywhere in North America where you can't find a pump or a jug within 2000+ miles and if there is and you're headed that way; use a little common sense and carry a jug...

As a note... my truck get about 2000 miles between less than 1/2 full warnings... The last was 2375 miles but I wasn't towing the entire time.. that would lessen the mileage a bit.. But even if it cut it in 1/2... I'm thinking that somewhere in 1000 miles I'd find a jug... I know I'd have to fill up with diesel 3 times in 1K miles if towing..
Morning,

I agree in theory with you. What I can see happening with these trucks as they age is, like anything mechanical/electrical, components fail. I would be EXTREMELY angry if the DEF tank level sensor failed and put my truck in limp mode while the tank was in fact full. That's just one possible example.

Back to my question: Would the truck know if water was used instead of DEF?

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote