View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
frankenstang

GMC gas or diesel for 312bh?

I am shopping for a new(er) truck now. The 1500 Sierra isn't enough to pull the trailer. Just got a used 2014 Outback 312bh.
I found a nice used 2013 Duramax Quad cab locally with only 17k miles on it. The dealer has the truck listed for $42k. I might be able to talk them down to $40K. Obviously, that truck is more than enough to pull and STOP that camper.

Had the trailer weighed and we're at 8450 lbs without water or food and clothing. So we will be using every bit of the trailer's 9000lb GVWR.

I have my heart stuck on a 2015 Stone Blue Metallic GMC 2500 quad cab. That truck is the 6.0 gasser with the 6 spd. Best price I can get is around 46k.

Here's the rub, my drive to work is only 10 miles round trip each day. I am concerned that the short trip 90% driving will be an issue with a diesel. We can use the truck as much as possible for longer drives during non-camping season.

The new 2015 is a totally different truck than the 2013 d-max. It's SO NICE inside compared to the Chevy. And I really don't want the maintenance of the diesel if I can avoid it. So many pluses though as far as towing and not worrying about 'enough truck'

Payload works out as a wash due to the weight of the drivetrain. 9500 GVWR for the gas truck and 10000 for the oil burner.

Love the looks and features of the 2015, love the towing capacity of the 2013 D-max. My buddy is on his 2nd one in the NNBS trucks. His new 2015 Silverado is amazing.

Thanks for helping. -- Joe
frankenstang is offline   Reply With Quote