View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 03:02 AM   #12
bsmith0404

I use both my 2500 and my 3500 for daily driving, short distance to work (4 miles). The longer trips twice per week will build the heat up and allow the DEF to regen. I personally do not and would not use an additive in the newer diesels. Don't know how much truth/fact there is in the rumors, but I've heard the additives can cause problems with NoX sensors. The NoX sensor seems to be the biggest problem with the Dmax emission system. I have replaced one in each of my trucks. Both of them at around 50k miles. The good part, they're under the diesel 100,000 warranty. You do not want to let the Dmax sit and idle for a long time, the new emissions are not designed for that. I was really surprised how easy mine started during the sub zero temps and how quickly it warmed up last winter. The engine turned over fast and easy, the block heater works great. You will hear some advise to avoid the DEF system, but my experience is that it's no big deal, just add a couple gallons about every 4-5k miles. The NoX sensor is part of that system, so I guess that could be a drawback.

As for the 6.0 and 4:10 set up, I had that in a previous truck as well. A lot of power for a gasser and pulled my 8,500 lb 5er well, until I got into the mountains around CO and WY. I was really working it hard in the mountains and the tranny was warming up pretty good. A couple passes had me down to 25-30 mph as I tried to limit the RPMs. I enjoy traveling in that part of the country , that really pushed me towards the diesel. Also, if you read my post on the thread by therink, you will see that the dmax is actually a cheaper per mile vehicle to operate. Personally, it doesn't matter to me which truck you buy, just giving you my two cents from my experiences when faced with the same decision.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote