View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #43
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Heard about and read about the "Dodge death wobble" for many years. Oddly, I've driven countless Dodge/Ram vehicles and never experienced it. I did however possibly induce it once while building up/lifting etc. a Dodge Ramcharger. During the mod process I did actually encounter some pretty severe front end gyrations. Turns out the replacement of the ball joints, track bar, tie rod ends, drag bar and power steering box completely fixed it. Drove like it was on rails on 35s or 37s. The parts replaced were already on the replace list because they had been run through the wringer by the previous owner. Here is a little excerpt from an article about the "death wobble";

It’s a phenomenon that can rear its ugly head on any solid front axle vehicle, but perhaps no other automobile (other than Jeeps) experiences it more than second and third-generation Dodge Rams. It’s called death wobble and it can give even the most seasoned drivers a case of the heebie jeebies. While the verdict is still out on the exact cause of death wobble, most instances can be traced back to worn out or damaged steering and suspension components. This includes the track bar, steering stabilizer, tie rod, drag link and even ball joints. However, a front-end that’s out of alignment, loose fasteners, improperly balanced tires and even over-or-under-inflated tires can also contribute to this uncontrollable shaking of your steering wheel.

Seems to me, as I found, proper adjustment, maintenance and replacement of faulty parts pretty much eliminates it - guess that's why I've never had it.
I had a 2gen Ram 2500 and never had an issue with death wobble in 80K miles. I currently have a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW and in15K of driving no issues. With both of there trucks drove over a very bad RR crossing at speed (60 mph) many times, and no issues.
The only vehicle I had a death wobble was a FORD! 1964 Econoline Van with a straight axle front end. The fix was new Kingpins.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote