View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #16
Tonkatoy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Just to point out size of truck may not matter without sway control.

My last RV roll over crash was on I 84 in the Columbia river gorge, it is noted for common 20 plus mph winds and they get up into 40-50 on many days.

Guy had a 2500 or 3500 Dodge pulling a TT around 30ft. WDH, no anti sway control. He said he was at 65 when the freeway was on a down hill grade with 2 curves through a side gorge. The wind hit the combo and the trailer pulled him into the left lane, he corrected. The trailer than went left/right flipped over and that flipped his truck. He thought the WDH was a sway control device. No one hurt both vehicles totaled, all freeway eastbound lanes blocked for several hours. All could have been prevented in my opinion with the right equipment.

I have since pulled my trailer through the same area around 10 times and never has trailer sway been a issue. Real heavy head winds bounce the front end of the truck and that is solved by slowing down.

Do you remember the wind storm we just had a few weeks ago? March 2nd and 3rd to be exact. I towed my bumper pull east through the gorge on the 2nd. It threw me all over the road even with my Equalizer 4 point hitch. I was down to about 52 mph for about 25 miles. It was miserable. There was 65 mph gusts that day. Coming home wasn’t bad on the 3rd with my new fifth wheel. The wind was blowing just as hard, but it was at my back. That gorge can be real nasty at times. I swear, it makes its own weather.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote