View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
3 or 4 long road trips a year with no real idea where we are going or how long we are going to take to get here, humm, our plan.
From AAA you can get the Woodall's RV campground guide. We may use it as a review but seldom as a selector.
Every time we cross a state line we stop at the visitor's center to a) see what's interesting and b) campground guides.
About the time I'm getting pretty sick of driving and my wife is tired of sitting we start looking for a place to overnight.
My Silverado has a WiFi hotspot and Android Auto so I say "OK google, campgrounds near me". My wife then gets busy looking up the options in Woodalls or visitor center handouts. Then we start calling and getting prices and available services. If it's only one night and there isn't much of interest around I'll pay extra for a pull through site. If we think we would like to stay a while maybe not.
We have NEVER not been able to find a place to get full hookups for the night.
So, when we stayed on the coast in MI in a state park we had reservations. When we stayed in Murfreesboro TN we didn't. We almost never "just show up" but mostly we only give a hour or 2 notice.
BTW, we planned to stay in Murfreesboro for a couple of days and stayed for 8. Messed up our entire non schedule.
This is very much the same way we travel except we don't have a WiFi hotspot in the truck, we use our Verizon MiFi to connect when the DW's phone won't work (AT&T). We decide on a "general destination" and that's about it. Our next "regularly scheduled trip" is "sometime when the pole barn door thaws and we can get the Cougar out to load it"... That's a generalized departure of "maybe late March or sometime in April" (no need to get too precise) and our "general destination" is "hopefully the Grand Canyon, then Las Vegas, and then north, unless it's too hot or too cold, then maybe back through Denver or maybe Albequrque (Never can spell that) and then maybe to Memphis to pick up some Savoy's Sausage and then back to visit the new great grand daughter and then probably home for a couple of weeks and then to the UP for our annual fishing trip.... MAYBE ..... Campgrounds.... Yeah, there's some along the way, if not, we can stop in a rest area or find a Cracker Barrel or ??? Like Alfred E Neuman, What, me worry ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote