View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
LHaven

When we were full-timing back in 1999, the Good Sam campground catalog was our planning bible. Now, I can just store apps on my iPhone. I keep several because I find some of them list campgrounds that others don't, and in general those campgrounds are less known and will have more availabilities in a pinch. Also, I get a better range of camper reviews without any potential bias from an organization that maintains a roster of "preferred" campgrounds.

The apps I keep on hand are GoodSamCamping, ParkAdvisor, and MyPassportAmerica (though we're not members). I recently added KOA -- we usually don't stay in KOAs, but we got a complimentary discounted membership recently that we haven't yet had a chance to exercise.

Each travel morning, we figure out how far we want to go, then while on the road, we hit up all three apps for campgrounds at the far end of that. When we see one we like we call in for a slot, and if we strike out, we try closer, then further. We've only had to take the WalMart Last Resort once in 20 years.