View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 04:43 AM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChambers View Post
Well hell.

I appreciate all the info. Guess my research fell short. I intentionally stayed under a certain number for pin weight as to be safe. I had a salesman trying to sell me a rig with 2100 advertised pin weight which I now can only assume was closer to 2800-3000 or more.

Apparently I’m truck shopping now. I open a site in 2 weeks that has a CAT scale, I will utilize that one and see what my weights are.

So for my future knowledge, is the 1570 lbs. advertised pin weight ever a valid number?
The advertised pin weight is a moment in time that will never be seen again..it’s the weight of the fifth wheel without propane tanks or batteries and completely empty tanks..nothing in trailer at all as far as camping supplies and things in the refrigerator or cabinets..and then it’s just one trailer at some point in history….with all the substitutions to building materials and appliances since covid there is no telling what yours actually is…I believe there is a weight posted on your entrance door jam that has the weight of your particular trailer

It may seem like everyone enjoys telling you about being lopsided on your tow vehicle but I can promise you it’s not the case.
No different then if you and your family were getting ready to go ice skating on a lake with thin ice.. it’s all out of concern for your safety.

I ended up going with a 1 ton dually because I wanted the cushion should I decide to go with a bigger fifth wheel one day.
It’s a very stable platform to tow with

Good luck and kudos for having an open mind! I argued for 3 months before I admitted to myself that I was wrong