View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
RangerFred

Bummer.
I had the same thing happen, except in addition to damaging the under-body & installation, the wiring to the running lights was ripped out and the trailer skirt was severely damaged as well. I had to gorilla tape the remnants of the skirt in place to get home.

Fixing the wiring was an easy task, replacing the skirt was expensive ($183 for a new skirt, $324 for painting to match (lowest estimate).

To repair the chunk of insulation and fabric, I took a slightly different route. I have ready access to coroplast so I cut away the shredded fabric and cut a piece of coroplast that was about 12" longer than needed. I created a huge pile of Great Stuff on the coroplast, and pushed into place, then removed it to make sure it filled the gap with expansion room. Prior to putting it in place permanently, I ran a very healthy bead of adhesive caulk around the perimeter of the coroplast patch. Once the patch was permanently in place, I went around the perimeter with screws to make sure the patch remained intact. I also put adhesive caulk on the fasteners to make sure they did not come out.

So far, it looks good. Oh yeah--I spray painted the coroplast flat black to mask its presence.

Did I mention that I was paranoid enough to put 5 new Goodyear Endurance tires on. The original tires were class C Load Range, and noticed that newer trailers by the same manufacturer and weight class were equipped with Class D tires. I followed suit and have class D tires.
RangerFred is offline   Reply With Quote