View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #12
Steveo57

The AC will draw 13-15 amps so I don't run anything else when I'm running the AC off of a 20 amp circuit at home. The converter will supply 12 volts without the batteries so you don't really need the batteries if you're plugged in. And if you have the controls located right on the AC itself it doesn't need 12 volts anyways. Only if you have a remote wall mounted thermostat do you need 12 volts for the AC.

The inverter generators are much quieter, you don't want to be the guy running an open frame generator in the campground! You'll get plenty of nasty looks and usually a round of applause when you shut it off!

Edit: I see you have a 13.5k BTU AC. I am running a 15k BTU so your amp draw will be slightly less. I installed an EasyStart on my AC unit and can start and run it my old Honda 2kw generator. But it is maxed out and you can't run anything else. I used to run a 13.5k BTU AC on the generator but it was borderline starting it. If your going to run it at home you need a 20 amp circuit and a short extension cord at least a 12 gauge.