Thread: Keystone Gens?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #71
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Hey! Good job to everyone for a great discussion on the pluses and minuses of both built-in and external generators. Clearly, they both have advantages and they both work. A new RV'er, in reading this thread will get a lot of help in thinking through their choices.

There is another alternative that was questioned but not yet discussed - how about "building in" an after-market purchased generator? It is quite possible to take an existing compartment (or building a new compartment) specifically for an added generator? In one of our previous trailers, we had a lot of extra space under the front overhang. So I built a compartment with sliding screen/solid doors, an exhaust path, a slide out rack for the generator (to service & fuel), storage, etc. I ran a cord from the new generator compartment through the internal cabinets to the existing shore power compartment. When I wasn't using shore power, I just plugged the shore power cord into the generator cord. The generator was a Honda EU3000 that would run the AC unit and everything else I wanted. This unit was quiet, secure, could be used while on the road, etc. Here's a link with some album pictures. With some fabrication skills and a "slide out rack", you might be able to have the best of both an on-board built and AND a portable generator. Just a thought...

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...p?albumid=1135
I agree! I have learned so much in this thread. Even in the disagreements, both sides. I have taken into account all of the posts here and fitted them into my decision. Ya'll have been great!!
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote