Thread: Fire Safety
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Just to piggyback on the importance of knowing what's what with your fire plan, just yesterday I found I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was.

Got my extinguishers etc. and figured the fire exit windows would be no brainers; well, they are and they aren't. On walk thru we had just did a cursory quick look at them and I didn't think more about it until yesterday so began to see how they really work......

First off were the 3 in the living area. 2 have sliding windows and thought you unlatched the safety pull, slid it open and bailed. Well, you unlatch it, slide the window and then the screen is across the opening. It appears it snaps into place from the inside but wasn't actually expecting that. Did not attempt to pull the screens because we leave tomorrow and didn't want to open a can of worms before departure. I'll rip it out if required.

The back window has very easily operated latches and we saw those when we walked through and he just pointed out the safety exit. Upon further inspection yesterday it appears the latches literally hold the window into the frame. Once released there are no hinges, latches or other mechanism on the window...it just sits in the frame so looks like you disconnect the latches and push the window out or try to maneuver it in some way to save it from falling. If the rv is on fire doubt I'll be worrying about that window. The bedroom is pretty straightforward; pull the latches, raise the window, pull the red safety handles up and push the entire screen/window frame assembly out.

Sorry for the long post but so many folks are getting new trailers that thought it might be beneficial to point out that just because you pull/pull/turn that red handle doesn't mean you have any idea of what is required once you do. In the panic of a fire that could have terrible consequences. Give them a look see and feel comfortable with the exit process before it is needed.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote