View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
zuley

Towing with a Grand Cherokee

Prior to pulling the trigger on ordering our Elite 23RB I just about got myself a divorce because of the time I spent researching as to whether my 2008 Grand Cherokee diesel would drag a 4600 pound TT safely. The general consensous was yes provided I did so with the proper hitch. I ended up purchasing a Centreline hitch with built in sway control. Trip home from the dealer was pretty uneventful with the Jeep doing as expected. Unlimited pulling power but I had to certainly be aware I had something behind me. Fast forward two weeks to this past weekend. Again we hooked up and headed out roughly 130 km from home for a three day weekend. Heading home Monday aft all was well. Running at about 85 km on a county hwy when I took a gust of wind from the right hand side. There was no sway whatsoever but both the Jeep and the trailer responded as one and I crossed the centre line. Fortunatly there was no one coming towards me at the time. However, it did scare me. Two hands on the wheel the rest of the way home. I'm thinking the short wheel base of the Jeep is to blame.
So, today I show up at work. The nice thing about working for an automotive dealership is that it does not take long to purchase a vehicle. By 9:30 I had a new 2013 goat on order. Ordered a SLT hemi quad 4 by, 3:92 gears, and tow package. No more uncertainty as to whether we are safe to tow.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote