View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I've said this before and like everyone else, it's just an opinion.

If something is going to fail, chances are it will so in the first year. This can be applied to most big ticket items that you purchase be it for the home, RV, boat, or car. RV systems and appliances will show their ugly heads during this time. Otherwise, they will wait til the day the warranty runs out. Many RV components have warranty periods longer than the 1 year bumper to tongue. So inherently, you're covered beyond that 1 year.

My belief is this. Take all the money you'll save on extended warranties and instead, invest it in a high interest yield account for 5 years. At the end of 5 years, if you plan on selling your trailer and no major fixes were required during your ownership, use that money as a very nice down payment on your new coach.

If however, you had to spend $1000 on a new AC rooftop unit during your ownership, take the $3000 you have left and use it as a down payment on your new coach. No matter the circumstances, the probability of spending MORE on your coach over 5 years for out-of-pocket repairs than spending (giving) initially to a warranty company is very small. YMMV

I need to know where this "high interest yield account" is!! I nor my 2 investment companies seem to be able to find it?? :
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote