View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 09:19 AM   #64
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Can I add a word to this discussion that may blow it up. The word is "Nuclear".
This is not to open up politics but I just have a question. When I worked for GE Power Division back in the 70's I did work a several nuclear power generator sites in Texas. What ever happened to that source? I know it's toxic to discuss but that source is clean, safe and reliable. Seems like the state shut down a large source of power in order to be politically correct.
There are 2 main Nuclear Power Facilities in Texas, the Comanche Peak Reactor and the Bay City Reactor.

The Comanche Peak Reactor, Comanche Peak, has 1,300 employees and powers 1.15 million homes. It generates 2,300 megawatts of energy. It is located near the Dallas/Fort Worth area and supplies much of their power.

The Bay City Reactor, STP has 1,200 employees and powers 2 million homes. It produces 2,700 megawatts of energy. It is located close to Houston and San Antonio and supplies much of the two cities power.

Bryan / College Station has a 1 megawatt reactor located on campus at A&M University, used for research and academic studies. This reactor is not used for power or economic purposes, and is rarely operated at the same level as any commercial reactor in use today. The relative risk of a meltdown anytime soon is low.

-Brian