View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
Denver Transplant

Dometic Refrigerator - Erratic on Gas

I've been having an interesting problem with my Dometic refrigerator in that it intermittently faults when attempting to light the burner while on gas. We have a Model DM2652 with the integrated ignitor/flame detector. We had it in to the dealer last year for a warranty fix - they said it just needed adjusting, but in fact, they didn't really fix it. I'm not excited about waiting 3-4 weeks for an appointment and then 3-4 weeks while they get to working on it.

Its not that the burner doesn't, light, but it appears that the flame isn't being reliably detected. You can hear the ignitor start sparking, and the burner lights. But the ignitor continues to spark for 10-15 seconds and then the controller turns off the gas, waits for its time out and makes another attempt. Sometimes you can hear a stutter in the flame and while the ignitor is sparking and sometimes not. Sometimes it gets it on the second or third try, but often it hits max tries and the fault light comes on.

A typical fix is turn off the refrigerator and turn it back on to allow it to attempt another burner light sequence (Usually during a 2AM trip to the bathroom) Usually its gets it then, but sometimes it takes a few more tries. I've never had it fail hard - we always get to eventually stay lit and the refrigerator cools as it should. Always works fine on 120 VAC.

Most common time that this occurs at night when its cooler and altitude might be a factor. This weekend we were at 8100 ft. For the first two days the burner lighting wasn't a problem, but for the last two days we had multiple faults including a few during the day when it was in the 80's.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Denver Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote