Thread: RV Generators
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

dcg9831,

I don't know why you'd think anyone would be thrown under the bus.

Your analogy of the 3600RPM generator is true for the "OLD" contractor single speed generator, but doesn't apply to the inverter generator. It doesn't "spin at 3600 RPM and varies speed depending on inverter load. Essentially, it's a 12 VDC alternator coupled to a 2000 watt inverter with a "sustained rating" of 1600 watts (when in "Honda colors" and 1700 watts when in "Champion colors"). The gas motor drives the alternator head at a "slow speed" when little power is required and the engine RPM increases (as does the alternator head speed) when more power is required by the inverter section. The alternator output is rectified and fed to the inverter section as 12VDC. The gas motor idles unless more DC power is required and only runs at "max RPM" when under "heavy load", so essentially, loading the generator to "continuous power output" causes it to run faster, creating more wear and reducing it's lifetime. How much??? I've no idea, but if you consider that bearings (and other components) have a mean time to failure, the more times the bearing turns, the faster it reaches that life expectancy.

You can read Yamaha's explanation of the difference between the two generator technologies here: http://www.yamahaef2000is.com/conven...generator.html

As for whether it's "good or bad" for a generator to run it at peak RPM and peak output is entirely up to the individual. Run yours any way you want, I'll "baby mine" and expect it to be around for many years. Hopefully they will live up to my expectations. My concern for how equipment is treated by owners is the main reason I don't buy used equipment. Your views may differ, I won't object at all

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote