Thread: Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #11
Tbos

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I’m curious to anyone who’s trailer sits for long periods of time with the battery disconnected. Does the battery stay charged when it is completely disconnected or do you have to connect it to some type of power source to maintain the charge?

My trailer is always plugged in when I’m not using it so I don’t have to deal with the battery being disconnected. I guess I was under the impression it wasn’t good for the battery to sit for long periods of time without a maintenance charge because the battery will discharge over time even if there is no load on it.

When I had a true battery disconnect the battery would hold charge for at least a month even in cold weather. I would go over once a month or so and plug into thectruck to add a little charge to it. Seemed to work well. The previous year I took the battery out and ran a battery maintainer on it. Just wanted to see how it would work the next year. On my 5er I’m plugged in except when it’s at service. I’ve had the batteries be dead when I went to pick it up. They put a jump on it to bring the jacks up so I could tow it home. 2 hours later at home the batteries were strong enough to run the hydraulics to level the rig and put out the slides. Unfortunately as has been mentioned they probably took a hit on their service life.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote