View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You're not a crazy person. Wanting a new trailer can make a person do crazy things.

In this case you are planning on putting a trailer that will weigh 8000 lbs behind a 1/2 ton. Will it pull it? Yes. Will it pull it well? Maybe (even HD trucks have this problem depending on drivetrain and what it's towing). Will it HANDLE it? No, not well. I've been there and done that.

Since you are sending the check now is a little late to wonder if the truck is up to it. You need to make sure it is as capable as it can be. Upgrade all tires to LTs if you haven't. Install air bags. Make sure you run your tires at max pressure when towing - same on the trailer. Check the weight ratings on the sides of the trailer tires and see if they aren't just barely above the weight of the trailer....they probably are. If so, upgrade the tires to the next weight range and run fully inflated - it made a heck of a difference with my truck. A good WDH is a must. You've are buying a Husky hitch. I don't know anything about them but I don't hear of many using them so someone with experience with them may be able to shed some light on that. It needs to be good to keep 8k from pulling your 1/2 ton all over the road.

The tongue weight will probably be around 1000 or so. What does the door sticker say you have for a payload? Subtract the above from it and what do you have left for people, cargo, fuel, hitch etc.?

You need to know your axle ratio and GCWR to know your max towing capacity, or it may be on the door as well; I don't know and haven't looked at mine. The Ford chart uses those 2 numbers to show the max towing capacity for the various trucks. Lastly, take it to the scales and see where you really are when you are done.

They have made lots of advances in 1/2 ton pickups; they haven't made them into heavy duty towing trucks yet. My last 1/2 ton was a 2013 and I got rid of it for a 3/4 ton in 2014 due to the reasons listed above.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote