View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 03:20 AM   #2
busterbrown

Congrats on your new trailer and welcome to the forum. There are a number of "towing capacity" calculators that you can use to determine if you're within specs of your tow vehicle and trailer. This link will allow you to fill in your vehicle's capacities. You'll be able to see what your safe towing margins are. Realistically, the best way to determine proper weights are at a truck weight station (i.e. Cat Scale). You'll get realistic numbers. From there, you can determine if you need to make adjustments to load and such.

Many members on here are proponents of 3/4 ton to full ton vehicles to pull loads over 6,000 lbs. I would agree that they pull easier and are more capable instruments in moving and arresting a load.

But properly equipped 1/2 tons are not inept either. Trucks have come a long ways in the last 15 years, having capacities that were once only reachable by their heavy duty big brothers. Sophistication of power plants and transmissions, responsive brake controllers, larger TV brakes, tow-happy tires, and hitch engineering are a few elemental components to modern day safe towing. This doesn't include design changes to the coaches that include spread axles and light weight materials.

With the 31bhpr, your biggest threat to your TV is payload. As tongue weight goes up, payload is removed. The coach empty has a TW of 820 lbs. Add battery(s), hitch, propane, and items for passthrough and m. bedroom storage, and you'll begin to loose a good chuck of remaining payload. That's the biggest reservation with 1/2 ton vehicles: limited payload (an Achilles heel if you will).

On the other hand, your TV is more than capable of moving your trailer. You just have to stay within your limits. Load everything but human (no joke) into the trailer. Spread out additional weights evenly in the trailer and over the axles. The bunkhouse is great to keep some of the heavier things stowed as it won't take up much of your precious TW. That's what we use to stow our BBQ, inflatable kayak, pack & play, and clothing in our Bullet 308BHS . Since were very close to our payload limits, the only thing that rides up front with us is 1 diaper bag.

Other advice I can give is buy an effective sway control hitch. I originally invested in a $600 Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. Initially, it seemed to dampen sway in ideal conditions. But when your moving a 35 feet long, 11 feet tall box at 60-65 mph in 30 mph crosswinds, the sway will make you and your spouse soil your pants. We had that exact experience with this mid-grade hitch and decided it was worth it to invest in premium sway ELIMINATION hitch (in my signature). It was tested on the way to Disney World last summer with a potentially catastrophic roadway hazard. I know if my TV wasn't hooked up with a Hensley, I would not have recovered the trailer at 60 mph. I only preach about these premium hitches as I think it should be standard issue with a trailer over 30 feet.

Good luck with your walk through.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote