Thread: Hello from TN
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 04:28 AM   #24
xrated

I guess a couple of things come to mind here for me. 1. I've never done a long trip before with a large camping trailer, and I'm talking a 44' trailer being towed with a CrewCab Dually with an 8' bed. So for me, I want to make sure I do the best job I can in getting it correct.....places that I can fit into, roads that I want to avoid (narrow, tight switchbacks, etc.). 2. I'm more of a "planner" vs. a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy. For example, at the end of the 350-400 mile day of driving, I want to KNOW that I have a campground spot waiting for my arrival because I planned for it and have a reservation. Obviously, things can happen along the way to cause those plans to change....road conditions, storms, flat tire, accidents on the highway that blocks traffic, etc., but at least I've tried to do my part in making it work. I also know that a lot of planning ahead of time isn't for everyone, but it's what I feel better doing. Being retired definitely takes some of the pressure off because we really don't have any "solid" deadlines and can be somewhat flexible if something does go off base a little.

I've already spent quite a lot of time on the "routing" part of it and the research for where we will be staying at the end of the day for the entire drive out there. Next up it is time to try and tweak the schedule as far as how long to stay in each area. Part of the pressure is that when you do an out west trip, and especially if you've never been out there before, is the fact that some of the more popular places to visit, like Zion for example, campground reservations need to be made long in advance of when you will be there. There are simply some places that you don't just call a day or two ahead of time and reserve a spot. Anyway, enough about that all of that.....I just say that I'm really, really looking forward to the trip, and it's still slightly over a year away.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote