View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #125
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
OK, rant time!
For many years while our kids were home we had pop ups. Pulled them with a collection of SUVs. Actually the first was a Camel pop up that I pulled with a Mustang.

Anyway, we have as you can see a very nice TT and a good tow vehicle.
AND they are paid for!

So many posters here assume that you need a bigger truck because you MIGHT buy a bigger RV. How many people other than posters here actually do that?

IMHO a 2500/3500 makes a very poor daily driver. Uncomfortable fuel hogs.

To spend on a bigger truck because of what you someday might do is silly. Or maybe because you have a bigger truck you think you need a bigger RV?

The OP has a nice TT and a poor TV. Buy a good 1500 set it up and enjoy. I would suggest Silverado or if you must an F150 but do it and get out there.

A few years down the road if you enjoy the whole RV thing and think you need something bigger then start thinking about something bigger.

Lastly, our style of travel is to wander. 10k miles or so with no real plan. The OP's TT will get into spots a land yacht dare not go. Where does the OP want to fish?
The reason many suggest a larger than needed tow vehichle comes from personal experience. The "typical" pattern is folks by a trailer, find out they need a more capable tow vehichle, then buy a larger (capacity wise) truck. The recommendations I believe are in an attempt to save the inexperienced camper from "chasing their tail".

If you buy "just enough" truck then you start out with the truck at max capacity. For many, if not most folks can't afford to buy a new trailer and a new truck whenever the want or need arises. Therefore if they do buy a truck with more capacity in the beginning then they have capability in 3 or 4 years to trade up to a larger trailer while the truck is still relatively "young" rather being limited to the trailer they have.

I view it as logical. It's up to the individual to decide for themselves what their current and possible future needs anmd finances are. Giving them the insight to look ahead and the common courtesy to consider it is not a bad thing IMHO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote