View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #36
Gmcjimmy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I can’t speak to WHY the switch is there but there has to be a "valid" reason. There's no logical reason gor the manufacturer to spend the money gor a switch,bthe electrical wire terminals, and the labor just to "get their jollys by messing with people". I can’t find any logic in the theory that it's there to keep you from forgetting and burning up the element. As the switch doesn’t automatically turn off the only time that would prevent forgetfullness would be the initial use as There's nothing to make you remember to turn it off.

Fortunately our unit has 2 switches inside, 1 for gas, 1 for electric. So I just consider it another one of the "quirks " to deal with on an RV.
As an electrician, I can wee the value in the outside switch for troubleshooting and safety while working on the unit. Being able to turn on/off while diagnosing or working on the unit and not worrying about someone being able to turn on power while your working. It actually may be a code thing. Generally electric equipment is required to have a service disconnect within 50' and sight. This means the breaker andbswitch inside would not count. Like you said there must be a reason. Maybe this is it or maybe its something else.
Also it is much easier to remember to turn that switch off when you have to be at that location to drain the tank.
I'm thinking the the reason mine has the switch wired i side but doesn't do anything is because of a supply shortage. They just ran out of the del models and substituted the de model leaving nowhere to wire the switch at the water heater side. Ive been seeing more and more of these shortages affecting many industries lately.
Gmcjimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote