View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 05:55 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahafx4 View Post
What if my Black Tank Vent was stopped up, is there any where the air could escape other then toilet? What about wax ring on toilet; although it isn’t leaking water. Crap I don’t know.
There is a vent stack from the top of the black tank, through a wall (normally the bathroom interior wall) that exits on the roof. It us typically located within a few inches of the bathroom roof vent, so that's why the question about running the "fart fan" during dumping. If the fan is pulling air into the bathroom, it would pull through that vent stack and up the toilet hole, bringing the odor into the trailer. If the fan is not running, but the ceiling vent is open, being that close to the vent stack, often "air conduction" will pull the odors that short distance from the vent stack to the bathroom vent and into the trailer. Any open window or door will be enough to allow air circulation to create the "suction needed at the ceiling vent. A "front bedroom air conditioner" condenser exhaust blowing over that vent stack is enough to push the odors toward the bathroom ceiling vent and, if it's open, push them down into the trailer. So, any air movement on the roof toward that vent stack and the ceiling vent opening can push the smell into the trailer.

Now, as for the vent stack: If it is inserted "too far into the tank" once the fluid level is above the "tank end" of the vent pipe, it will no longer "vent air to the roof" but will pressurize the tank, pushing any liquid through any "weak seal in the system". If your toilet foam mounting ring is "weak" (but not necessarily leaking water), that pressure could be pushing air up the toilet flush pipe, meeting the ball valve in the toilet and as pressure rises, push that odor out a compromised leak in the foam ring. THERE IS NO WAX RING, only foam.

As a "test", next time you dump your holding tanks, do not close the black tank valve to fill the black tank when rinsing, leave the dump valve open, turn on the tank flush system and see if "when the dump valve is open, odors still enter the trailer"... My guess is they won't and your smell will not be as noticeable inside....

I'd suspect it's from the vent stack being too far into the black tank and a compromised foam seal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote