View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's a very detailed "theory of operation" on the WFCO website: https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...eration-v2.pdf

Essentially, the "amp/voltage relationship" dictates the operational mode of the converter/charger and as "house demands go up, the charge capability goes down"... There are "over-rides" to switch from absorption mode to bulk mode and "up the voltage from 13.6 to 14.4 VDC, but as stated on that link, "you can't read the voltage increase with a meter (or voltage monitor mounted on the wall) because the converter/charger output is regulated based on current, not voltage, so even though the output is 14.4 VDC, the "nominal output voltage remains at 13.6 VDC"....

It's not "smoke and mirrors" but rather the "charge profile management" which is used to protect "sensitive DC circuits from higher voltage where possible"...

An interesting read which "to me, more or less negates the hypothetical advantages of the Progressive 4 stage charger system". Without getting too deeply into "electronics theory", letting the WFCO "do its thing" is likely to be the best option for most users who don't have extensive electrical engineering and design backgrounds.... IOW, it gets way deeper than my brain can interpret in the "finite details".....
Thanks for the explanation John…they are a little more complicated then I thought..I will read up on them and I appreciate the link