Thread: Darco/Slides
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Great Post. However, I don't buy their statement that they are unaware of any problems with the Darco. I think Keystone continues to use Darco because it is cheaper.
I plan on adding strips of the ultra-high density poly under the slides to prevent the wear damage. The bottoms of the slides are not exposed during transit so that should be good. I also plan on lining the wheel wells to protect the darco from road debris/rocks.

I have done as you plan with the strips and will also line the wheel wells as John did when I get back home.

I'm not so sure they are actually aware of the issue at a higher level. He was surprised at my concern about the Darco and strongly stated it had never, ever been on their "top 5" issues for warranty they discuss weekly/monthly. As I pointed out to him, I suspect that is probably right because it takes a while for the wear bar to deteriorate the Darco and unless you use the trailer a lot the damage will be out of the warranty period just as mine was and so many others, so, it actually wouldn't hit their warranty radar. I doubt anyone tabulates and categorizes repairs and mods paid for at the owner's expense.

He had told me of the pride they take in trying to make the best unit for the price paid....value. I told him what I stated above and they very well may not know of the Darco issues (along with others) due to the length of time they take to fail, but, every single person spending the amount of money it costs to by an RV should have every confidence that the basic construction (Darco) should be able to serve many years in normal service. Darco was not such a product since it is no more than plasticized paper put into service as a "wear" product for which it was never designed IMO. When the failure comes, as it probably will, 2,3,4 years down the road (depending on use) it is expensive and difficult to fix since the Darco is part of the basic construction design.

What will come of that conversation I have no idea but wish the best. I told him I was in the market for another trailer but could not find one I liked better than mine and of those that were at the top of the list were Keystones - which I would not buy again due to the Darco/wearbars. I also asked him to do his due diligence, have folks look at the competition and see if they couldn't at least compete with them. I knew they could change designs on a dime and mid season so hopefully by mid year next year they could see their way to changing their design. Maybe he will let me know, I may have to look at the lots or maybe send him an email later on. Anyway, just threw that out to them to at least get the issue on record.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote