View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #46
Bandit12

On the 17th of Jul we left our home in northeastern California for a 2 week trip to South Dakota to look around for some property we could move to in the future. When we left I had filled the fresh tank with about 40 gallons of fresh water, after filling the water heater tank and all the lines. When we left there was a wildfire, the Dixie fire, in our county but well south of us and it appeared to be well in hand. By the evening of the 22nd, our house/dog sitter called to tell us he could go to the 2nd floor of the house and look out the large north facing windows and see flames on the ridge 15 miles to the north. Our entire town was placed under a evacuation warning. He wanted to know if he has to evacuate, what should he do with our animals? We made several phone calls to friends and family and made emergency arrangements to have our three dogs care for in a nearby town. We also decided to have our grandson go to our home and evacuate several personal belongings for us. We also made calls to rearrange our reservations at camp sites we had booked on our way home and decided to head for home on Saturday the 24th. I had about 35 gallons of water in our fresh tank at that point and had just drained the holding tanks on Tuesday. Upon our arrival in Ogden UT, the last overnight stop before heading home, my holding tanks were indicating 2/3 full each as was my fresh water tank. I drained and flushed the black tank, and drained both gray tanks. I also completely filled the fresh water tank. That was Sunday the 25th. I drove all the way home from Hill AFB in Ogden UT, about 620 miles with a full water tank. That water is still in the tank today. Our town is no monger under an evac warning, but the fire is raging around us. The town of Greenville, about 25 miles northwest of us was destroyed yesterday. I plan on draining the fresh water system and open the low point drains to get as much of the water out of the system as possible, then immediately refilling the system. Our trailer has remained mostly packed, the fridge has been left on as the trailer is plugged into power, and if the winds shift and we're told to get out of dodge in a hurry, I can finish packing out important family belongings, food, and clothing, be hitched up and rolling out in 45-60 minutes, faster if I need to.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote