Thread: Parts needed
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi, I had an issue with the water heater not firing up on propane. You could hear the solenoids clicking but apparently weren't opening. I replaced the gas valve and everything is working great (knock on wood). And since I can't leave things alone I tore the old valve apart and cleaned the plungers on the solenoids and tested them, re-installed it on the water heater worked, like brand new. But because it is a gas valve that could cause a fire or lots of damage I removed it and put the new one back on. I know, but I really had nothing better to do other than find out why and how it ticks. But for sure put a new valve on it's the safest and only way to go.
I'm a "tinkerer" too. It's hard to resist not "trying to outsmart or outfix the manufacturer"... I can't begin to count the number of "old 8 transistor radios", TV's, Stereos, hand mixers, blenders, toasters, even Timex watches (when they were the kind that "keeps on ticking" that I took apart, "fixed" and tried to put back together. Sometimes they worked perfectly, sometimes I had a couple of "extra parts" and sometimes I got them apart, "fixed" and put them back together and they worked for a couple of minutes or so, then "BOOM" either the smoke escaped or the Timex stopped ticking.....

On an item with "severe consequences if it fails" like you, I want to fix it, but the 'better part of valor' tells me that even if it works, it may not be the best choice to rely on it in a "life/death" situation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote