View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopy kat View Post
Thanks for the info. I had already used air to blow out the total water system (hot, cold) and had sucked antifreeze into the total water system...so was surprised to see the wet spot under the drain tubes the other day. And yes, we are having below freezing weather...might be easier to just head south to warmer climate???
Your experience with using compressed air to "blow all the water out of the system" is the same as mine. There's ALWAYS some residual water that escaped the compressed air and remains in the system, SOMEWHERE.....

Where that residual water collects is the "million dollar question".... If it collects/condenses in a low spot that is potentially going to be damaged by frozen water expansion, then it can cause damage. If it collects in a location where the expansion will not cause damage, then there's nothing to worry about.... My concern is not if there will be residual water, I know there will be... Rather my concern is WHERE that residual water will collect. Living in northern Michigan where we get weeks/months of below zero temperatures, I always use RV antifreeze to follow the air compressor. That way, I feel comfortable that even when that water condenses in a low spot, there'll be antifreeze to prevent it that pooled water from expanding and damaging some expensive component.....

It sounds like your "extra water" pooled in the water heater and found its way to the freeze valve... At least "Like Elvis, some of that extra water has left the building"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote